Welcome

Welcome to my blog! Feel free to comment, but please sign your comments so I know who is stalking me. I appreciate the feedback. Also, visitors please beware that I'm generally pretty sarcastic; don't take anything on this blog too seriously!

Saturday, April 14, 2007

TV, Man's Real Best Friend.

Television has been a main feature in the North American household since the dawn of time, even possibly since dinosaurs were around. It provides informative and convenient media outlet on current events, sports and entertainment. I was never a big TV viewer from the get go to be honest. At Western, the TV was mostly dominated by my roommate, which was cool, because honestly I didn't know what good shows were out there and I did not have the time to watch anything then Simpsons and Seinfeld and the Raptors game. We watched the first season of Sopranos, Transformers and Arrested development but that was on DVD.

We eventually started watching 24, we made it a group thing for the boys. The inhabitants of 106 (Manjit, Nick and myself) with the boys of 602 (Gunness and Kav) with the occasional Raman, would get together every monday evening no matter what the schedule to participate in this ritualistic event. To tell the truth I miss those times, making Monday evenings a worthwhile night. The constant "Shut up Tony, they're talking!". Kav could not watch the show with me, I had the tendency to ruin it...just a tad. This is one show that is a suspense action drama, which I have reduced to a comedy in my mind. The nonsensical plot twists, the predictability and (un) super human effect of Jack Bauer, the protagonist. Jack aka Wack or Quack Bauer as I liked to call him would make irrational decisions, constantly yelling, but of course would save the day at the end. I have seen all the previous seasons on DVD with season 4 being my favourite, this season has to be one of the worse seasons to date. I've kind have rekindled this old time tradition by watching 24 with my little brother who like me, like making fun of Jack and other characters of 24. Jack is like a modern day Caveman, toting a gun like "shoot first ask questions last, that's how most of these so-called gangsters pass" to quote the late great B.I.G. He epitomizes whats wrong with the American population, especially ones who are pro war. Earlier in the season, Jack killed one of CTU's top agents, because he was jeopardizing the case, what happens later, the terror suspect dies meaninglessly. Now we're out one of the main characters of the show. One of the things that makes me laugh about 24 is the extra emotional side, its like wait, I thought Jack Bauer was a badass, now he's got feelings? oh and there are also scenes where he's acting like a squirrel, grunting, cave-man like after crucial scenes, this also makes me an yell obscene things at the TV. With the latest episode of Jack risking World War 3 occurring with the Russians, Chinese and the US just to save the love of his life Audrey Raines, and using the excuse that "Audrey has done so much for this country". Gimme a f'in break.

I had a theory, that 24 was sponsored and funded by the US government. This show had 24 episodes (of course) that were 1 hour long an each of these episodes had high tech gear, army helicoptors, pro government propaganda and how the per episode budget must be substantially higher than other shows on FOX. Oh and did I mention the show was on FOX (this show be obvious on the government's involvement). It also promotes anti-Muslim theologies and the idea that any person of colour could be a terrorist, black or brown, since it depicts terrorists living secretly in society, to rachet up the fear in the US. It also helps to propagate an anti-Muslim agenda. To reiterate, Jack Bauer is wack, 24 is propaganda, but will I miss it on Monday night....hells no!

I, like Homer Simpson love TV. "Television! Teacher, mother, secret lover." and I agree with him...secret lover not so much...*looks around nervously*, haha. With my time off after school, I caught up on all the amazing TV shows such as realizing how hilarious Simpsons episodes are, the genius creation that is Arrested Development. This clip is proof of that. It has some of the funniest moments in the show involving my favourite character GOB (pronounced Jobe). Arrested Development is easily the funniest show ever...EVER! Bold claims you say. People who watch this show and you know who you are, will agree with me. Its funnier than the Office (which is also a funny show and has its moments).



Shows like Sopranos, Entourage, the Wire (all HBO shows...oh yeah!) are amazing and I would recommend them to anyone. I never got into popcorn shows such as Friends and the new phenomenon known as Grey's anatomy, which I don't like, I mean if I wanted to watch a comedy based in a hospital, I'd watch Scrubs.

The quality of TV has increased significantly, especially with one of my favourite inventions High Definition (HD) TV. If you got HD you know what I'm talking about, its so clear its almost like you're there! Half the time you're just watching it like "damn this shit is so clear!". Its to the point where I refuse to watch TV on smaller TV's, its just not the same, and HD is just an entirely different experience. Lately there's been price drops on HD TVs, which makes me wonder that something even better is on the horizon.

The next thing must be Virtual Reality TV. Where watching TV would be reduced to putting on a set of glasses that projects a movie on a screen as the eye can see, where you feel like you're part of the action. Oh man I can't wait for that!! (It will probably be television that will provide more pixels per inch, maybe that new 1080p technology) The television industry is booming thanks to technology and quality of programming, and I'm not mad at all.

I'm out.

Peace!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good work Tone...our own Bill Simmons in the making, lol.

by the way, I don't appreciate the hate for 24, but I'll let that slide.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the blogger, 24 is pretty wack this year... hence your insight on wack bauer.... the anonymous poster before me (aps) doesnt know what hes talking bout. I guess he enjoys the weekly predictability of 24....

lookin forward to the next blog

Vic

Anonymous said...

Before it is posted, i will say this guy is trying very hard to defend his previous comment...

Vic

lets wait and see what he does
|
|
|
|
V

Anonymous said...

Yes, I do enjoy the predictability of 24...you know what your going to get and so you won't be disappointed. Sometimes people must take TV shows for what they are and keep their expectations in check otherwise they are setting themselves up for disappoint.

The previous poster should really relax on his disdain for Jack Bauer and focus his efforts on writing a screenplay and then, can we take his opinion seriously.

Aps

Tony said...

Well 24 follows the same format every season, its just that now everyone is picking up on it. I do agree with you on the extent of how innovating each season can be, but after season 4, the show has been on a decline. Theres so many ways that would be more obvious and safer to do but then the show would literally be done in a day (an hour). I agree with Bape, setting expectations to high is bound to lead to disappointment. I agree with Vicky tho, I'm glad this is the last season.

Baweezy said...

Blog this! a-hole

Unknown said...

I think you have a man crush on Jack Bauer but you don't know how to deal with it. My advice, let yourself go and just fall deep into his eyes.